Dried Shrimp Sambal (Paste) 辣椒虾米酱
A hot and spicy dish of dried shrimps. This is commonly eaten with rice. It is popularly used as a filling for sandwiches, buns, dumplings and a host of endless possibilities. You can adjust the amount of chili paste to suit your taste buds as some people like hot and spicy food while others cannot take the heat of hot chillies.
100g dried shrimps, soaked and chopped
10g belacan or dried shrimp paste
100g chili paste
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
2 1/2 tsp sugar
4 tbsp cooking oil
100 ml water
1. Remove the skin from the shallots and garlic.
2. Put them into a food processor and mince together with the belacan.
3. Heat wok. Add cooking oil and heat until hot.
4. Add in the minced shallot paste and stir-fry until fragrant.
5. Add in the chili paste and mix evenly.
6. Add in the chopped dried shrimps and stir-fry to mix well.
7. Add in water, salt and sugar.
8. Continue cooking and stirring until the water dries up.
9. Dish up and serve.