Monday 12 August 2013

Peanut Porridge With Century Eggs 花生皮蛋粥

  Peanut Porridge With Century Eggs 花生皮蛋粥



Recipe source :  Doris Choo


We had this great tasting porridge for Sunday brunch. The night before, I overheard my daughter and son talking about  porridge. Apparently, my daughter read somewhere that freezing rice which had been washed and soaked overnight before boiling them, cuts down on the cooking time. I think it was my son who said that Hong kong-style porridge uses chicken stock for the extra oomph!

Out of curiosity, I wanted to try out what I heard. I checked out my pantry and noted that I have the essential ingredients to try out the theories. I am happy to share that both theories are very true! The frozen rice turned to porridge pretty fast but because I used Chinese herbs in my porridge, I had to boil it for a longer period of time in order for the flavours from the herbs to be released and be infused into the porridge. 

My family likes to have century eggs in our savoury porridge. Since I have some in my pantry, well, I added in the century eggs for the extra flavour.  And that's when it occurred to me that I can link this porridge to Little Thumbs Up's egg event ! 


Ingredients


200g rice, washed and soak with enough water to cover the rice. Freeze the rice and water overnight.
100g peanuts, soak in 1/2 tsp of lye water and boil for 15 minutes. Then rinse thoroughly.
40g dried scallops
20g wai san ( 淮山)
1 tbsp wolfberries (纪子)
2 century eggs
10 century quail eggs
2 tbsp ginger oil
1 litre chicken stock
1 litre water
2 tsp salt, or to taste 

 Two varieties of century eggs - chicken and quail eggs

Instructions


1.  Pour 1 litre of water together with the chicken stock into a medium-sized pot.
2.  Add the frozen rice and water into the pot.
3.  Add wai san, wolfberries, partially soften peanuts and dried scallops into the pot.
4.  Boil until the wai san and wolf berry are softened and the rice grains are broken.
5.  Add salt to taste
6.  Add ginger oil and ginger crisps.
7.  Add in the century eggs. 




I am linking this post to Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out

This event is linked to Little Thumbs Up

The event is organised by Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids


Photobucket

The ingredient for August is 'egg'


6 comments:

  1. Hi Doris,

    Am I seeing a porridge face??? I can see a face with two glossy black eyes (century eggs) with crinkled nose (crispy ginger nose) :D

    Pardon me... Maybe I'm just hungry.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe,
      Yeah, I can see the face and crinkled nose now! :D

      Delete
  2. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com13 August 2013 at 02:05

    Doris, I love porridge and with herbs some more, aiyoh... drooling... liao.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy,
      Yeah, I'm now craving for it too!

      Delete
  3. Hi Doris, omg so many century eggs!! I love them so much.... and thx for sharing abt the porridge theory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are learning from each other everyday.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...