Friday 16 January 2015

Chinese New Year Dish : Tau Pau With Mushrooms 豆包焖香菇

Chinese New Year Dish : Tau Pau With Mushrooms 豆包焖香菇


 Recipe source :  Y3K magazine, Issue 71, 3/4 -2013 ( Boon's Little Kitchen )

This lovely vegetarian dish looks so auspicious!  I liken the lovely pieces of mushrooms to ancient coins sitting on pieces of jade and taels of gold! Ah, I got carried away again when talking about symbolism and auspicious food for Chinese New Year !

The "taels of gold" are vegetarian bean curd wraps. The Cantonese called them tau pau. They are soy products and rich in protein. This dish is popularly served at  eight-course dinners during Chinese wedding banquets. I always look forward to this vegetarian dish because I love eating the bean curd wraps. 

I am cooking this for Chinese New Year.  

The  taste is absolutely awesome!

Ingredients A


1 tbsp minced ginger
1 packet frozen tau pau ( bean curd wrap/soy chip )
12 pieces dried mushrooms, soaked until soft
200g broccoli, cut into florets
Enough oil to deep-fry tau pau


Thickening Solution


1/2 tbsp tapioca flour
1 tbsp water

Mix together to form a solution. 


Seasonings


2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dark soya sauce
1 tsp sugar
300ml water

 Frozen tau pau.

Let it thaw. The pieces will be easier to separate after thawing.
Use kitchen towels to absorb the moisture before deep-frying.

Method


1.  Heat oil to deep-fry tau pau. Remove,drain and set aside.
2.  Heat 1000ml water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Add 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp oil. Blanch the broccoli florets for 1 minute. Remove and drain well.
3.  Heat 1 tbsp oil. Saute minced ginger and mushrooms. Fry well.
4.  Add seasonings, water, deep-fried tau pau. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
5.  Add thickening solution and mix well.
6.  Toss in the broccoli and stir to mix well.



Hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well In Flanders 
and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House



I am linking this post to Cook-Your-Book #20
Hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours


Cook-Your-Books


34 comments:

  1. I also like this auspicious dish,especially the yummy "taels of gold" .
    Thank you Doris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aunty Young,

      May you come into real taels of gold this coming CNY. Wishing you a happy and prosperous Chinese New Year.

      Delete
  2. Hi, this one looks super delicious and healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shazzy,

      It sure is and thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. I love tau pau. The combination of tau pau and shiitake mushroom is just fantastic. A perfect dish to serve during CNY !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica,

      It sure is and wishing you a happy and prosperous CNY.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Linda,

      Thanks for visiting and wishing you a happy and prosperous Chinese New Year.

      Delete
  5. Hi Doris, I just bought a packet of round shape Tau Pau. Will cook it this way. Looks like restaurant style dish. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy, I haven't bought any round shape tau pau before, but I guess it would look nice. Gong Xi Fa Cai. :)

      Delete
  6. Doris,
    Thanks for showing the packaging of Tau Pau, I have no idea how it looks like, but now I know! This is a great dish for CNY, your presentation looks like it is served at chinese wedding banquets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi B,
    Nice to know that I am of help. Wishing you a happy and prosperous Chinese New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Doris,
    Wow, your dish looks so delicious! And it looks really festive! Your family is going to have feast with all the delicious CNY dishes you are cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Doris,
    Thank you for sharing. Since I have some tao pao in my freezer, gonna make this for reunion dinner. Wishing you a happy and prosperous Chinese New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. REAL CURE ON HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS AND HIV some times we just need to give a try to herbal Medicine to see for our self. I am very happy today that i do not listen to what people say if not i would have been a dead woman by now. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2017, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the office thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS, HIV, HPV and many more disease and she gave me his email, so i mail him. Doc. Chukwu madu told me all the things I need to do and send me the herbal medicine through courier delivering service and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after 2 weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished and blister dried off . I went to the hospital for a test and it was negative. Dr.Chukwu madu is real and he is the solution to herpes virus. so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him via his personal email. dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com (call or whatsapp +2347030936239 according to this great DR he can also cure HIV, ALS,CANCER, COLD SORE, HPV AND DIABETES

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful Blog! Set yourself up for a year loaded with good fortune and good with these Chinese New Year party ideas for a special Lunar New Year celebration 2022.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...